Welcome to KnittingPony's Blog!

Lover of knitting, embroidery, crochet, sewing, afternoon tea, fashion, music and film from the 1920's to the 1940's, vintage crockery and the occasional zombie film.

Sunday 5 February 2012

A very productive week - 2 hats!

There's nothing like knitting a hat to make you feel productive. These two followed me everywhere this week. I cast on Rose Red, by Ysolda Teague, on Sunday last weekend and finished it this Saturday. 
Ravelry link to the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rose-red
My only question is which colour to knit next. The yarn (Orkney Angora St Magnus DK) is gorgeous, warm and lightweight, making it perfect for most of the year in the UK. I think I'd like one in bright red, cream or silver next.
I was a bit lazy and didn't swatch properly or block the swatch because I wanted to start immediately. Lazy and impatient. Thankfully the medium turned out to be the perfect fit! 
I really enjoyed knitting this hat. I love the design and it was fun to see it emerge, with a series of beautiful cables in place of the usual ribbed band. I adore the combination of the rose petals and twisting cables. I feel this hat will look great with a heavy winter coat or a lightweight spring jacket. Hence wanting more!


While I was knitting away, though, the weather turned colder and I had a sudden urge for a heavier non-beret shaped hat. So I found a wonderful free pattern called Hineri by Olga Buraya-Kefelian: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hineri-hat
I had some Rowan Coccon hanging around waiting to be used for the perfect project, and so I cast on! This is the modified version of the hat, details are on my Ravelry project page. I went up to a 7mm needle size (from a 5.5mm) as the cables make the hat quite tight - cable 12 is quite a lot of stitches to cable :)
It's nice and slouchy and very warm. And only took 2 days to knit. Perfect when you just want to knit and watch tv without having to pay too much attention to a complex pattern. I like that it's not too girly but is not too simple. Very very lovely hat .

Startitis didn't stop at two hats this week as I cast on a Snapdragon mitten too! Another Ysolda Teague pattern:
I'm using Dream in Color Classy yarn in Gold Experience. It's sooo squishy. 

5 comments:

  1. Your Rose Red is so cute! It's lucky that you got such a good fit with out swatching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word how quickly you knit!! Both are utterly gorgeous perfectly timed for the chilly weather. The gloves are going to be wonderful too I just love the colour of the yarn! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind comments! I've chosen bright red and silver yarn for the next two Rose Red berets. I am planning an accessories strategy as I don't have enough scarves and co-ordinating hats.

    Wendy - I am not normally this speedy... not sure what's come over me! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG awesome hats, so pretty! I really must learn to cable knit... :)

    ReplyDelete